Make your own free website on

Poole Town FC

Archived match reports

Results & Table
Archived match reports
Player Ratings

Match Reports 2006 - 2007


Poole Town 1 Bournemouth Poppies 0

A Dan Cann goal just before half time was enough to separate these evenly matched sides. Poole, however could have scored more, missing a couple of one on ones with the keeper in the first half and hitting the bar in the second half

Man of the Match: Ian Richardson

Poole Town 1 Frome Town 3 (FA Vase)

Poole Town 4 Bemerton Heath 0 (Wessex Premier)

(PTFC scorers - Strong, Glenister 2, Hogan)

Poole Town 3 Budleigh Salterton 0 (FA Vase)

Budleigh Salterton 3 Poole Town 3 AET (FA Vase)

Poole failed to make their 2 league superiority tell as they looked to have the match won several times but ultimately had to settle for a replay. Skelton put Poole one up with a superb curling free kick only for Budleigh to equalise from a shot that should have been saved. In the second half Chivers got a touch to a bouncing ball which the Budleigh keeper was unable to reach but Budleigh again equalised before the end. In the first period of extra time Funnell looked to have put Poole through to the next round with an immaculate free kick just inside the post, but in the second period of extra time a sweeping move from right to left saw the Poole defence exposed and the Budleigh players were rightly delighted to have got a draw.

Man of the match: Aaaron Skelton

Player Ratings: Frampton 3, Whitley 4, Jordon 4, Hankey 4, D. Sturgess 4, Skelton 7 (Saadi 7), Hogan 5, Funnell 6, T. Smith 5, Chivers 6, Benssaouda 4

Lymington Town 3 Poole Town 0

Fareham Town 3 Poole Town 4

This was a great game to watch with both teams playing attractive football as Poole came from 2 - 0 down to beat top of the league Fareham with a superb attacking performance. Fareham took the lead on 14 minutes with a slick passing move that left Mitchener no chance. The lead was extended by Laidlaw with the Poole defence unable to cope with the speed of the Fareham attacks. Hankey rose to meet a corner and Whitley bundled the ball over the line to give Poole hope at half time. Poole should have had two penalties by this time with Benssauda pulled back by the shirt and then tripped in the area.

Half Time: Fareham 2 Poole 1

Poole equalised a minute after half time as Hankey again rose like a salmon to head the ball powerfully in from a corner. Eventually Poole did get a penalty but Funnell missed the spot kick. As Fareham returned to the attack they again took the lead with a great move. Another penalty was awarded to Poole on 72 minutes when Trefor Smith was felled in the area and this time Benssauda made no mistake. A great run by Chivers on the right saw a great cross and Benssauda running in to hammer the ball home for the winner.

Full Time: Fareham 3 Poole 4

Man of the Match: Mark Hankey

Player ratings: Mitchener 7, Whitley 7, Jordan 6, Hankey 8, D. Sturgess 6, Skelton 7 (Brown 6), Funnell 7, T. Smith 8, Hogan 7, Benssauda 8, Strong 7 (Chivers 7)

Poole Town 8 Alton Town 1 (Wessex Premier)

A two game goal drought was brought to a dramatic end as Poole hit Alton for eight and it could have been more. Alton were no match for Poole's sharpness and ability and hopefully the team can maintain their form when they play the better teams in the league.

Straight from the kick off Funnell tried a speculative shot as the Alton keeper strayed off his line, but the shot was comfortably saved under the bar. After 15 minutes however Poole opened the scoring when Richardson played a great ball through to Benssauda who calmly placed his shot over the keeper's head and in off the underside of the bar. On 19 minutes Funnell found space on the right and pulled the ball back for Strong to fire in from 20 yards. A lone attack from Alton was easily dealt with before Funnell played in Sturgess whose ball in eventually came to Benssauda who added the third. It was all one way as shots were saved by the Alton keeper or went narrowly wide. Richardson left the field after 43 minutes but a couple of minutes later Chivers took the ball to an acute angle before slotting past the keeper for Poole's fourth goal.

Half Time: Poole 4 Alton 0

Alton renewed their efforts after half time and were rewarded when an attacker took on the Poole defence and drilled a low shot past Frampton. Poole gradually regained the upper hand and scored 4 goals in 10 minutes. On 75 Chivers crossed for Hogan to score, on 82 minutes Hogan crossed for Glenister to head in, on 83 minutes the ball came to Chivers in front of goal and he passed the ball into the net, and on 84 minutes Sturgess hit the best goal of the game as his measured shot from the right beat the goalkeepers upstretched hands. Hogan was mysteriously booked towards the end but Poole had done more than enough.

Full time: Poole 8 Alton 1

Man of the Match: Dave Sturgess

Player Ratings: Frampton 5, Hogan 7, Jordan 7, Whitley 7, Hankey 7, Richardson 0 (Chivers 8), Funnell 8, Strong 7 (Bayston 6), T. Smith 7 (Glenister 7), Benssauda 8, D. Sturgess 8

Wimborne Town 0 Poole Town 0 (Wessex Premier)

Poole Town 0 Taunton Town 1 (FA Cup)


Bournemouth Poppies 0 Poole Town 1

This was a superb performance by Poole with Steve Richardson immense in the centre of defence giving ex Poole striker Leigh Phillips no chance of a goal. The whole team played a superb pressing game when Poppies had the ball and thoroughly deserved their victory.

Poole started the brighter of the two teams and dominated the opening exchanges. The goal came from a Funnell free kick after 16 minutes with Harvell in the Poppies goal being unable to do anything about a fierce curling shot into the top corner. On 22 minutes Funnell pulled a corner back to Brown and his shot screamed just wide of the post. Poppies came back and forced Frampton into a diving save but at the other end Skelton ventured forward and forced a similar diving save from Harvell. Great play by Benssauda set up Skelton whose pass to Funnell put him in on goal and Harvell again made a great save. Just before half time the game threatened to get out of hand as Strong kicked Harvell in the face when going for a loose ball. Harvell retaliated knocking Strong to the ground with his shoulder and both players were booked. On the stroke of half time Strong headed on a Funnell cross producing a great save from Harvell.

Half Time Poppies 0 Poole 1

A Funnell free kick after 51 minutes was beaten out by Harvell and headed in by Benssauda but disallowed for offside (???). A Skelton shot was tipped over the Poppies bar and a fierce Funnell shot from the left edge of the box saved. Poppies dominated the rest of the match as they tried everything to get back on terms. However the Poole midfield and defence were magnificent allowing few clear cut chances. Sturgess and Richardson were both booked as Poole came under severe pressure and Leigh Phillips hit a post from a short Poppies corner. On a rare Poole attack Hogan scooped over the bar from a low Funnell corner. In the 93rd minute Poppies finally had a clear chance to equalise, but Briscoe put his free header wide of the post.

Final Score: Poppies 0 Poole 1

Man of the Match: Steve Richardson

Player Ratings: Frampton 5, Hogan 7, Jordan 8, Whitley 8, Richardson 8, Skelton 8, Funnell 8, Sturgess 8, Brown 7, Strong 7 (Chivers 6), Benssauda 6


Poole Town 2 Ringwood Town 0

Poole were not totally convincing against a fairly weak Ringwood team but got the job done with a competent second half display.

Poole started well but it was Ringwood who had the first shot from distance but it rose over the bar. On 21 minutes a cross from the right was headed over by Richardson. Trefor Smith showed good skill and the ball reached Richardson via Strong but the header was cleared off the line and the follow up shot saved. A Ringwood corner was headed in but disallowed before this season's trademark corner from Funnell to the near post was headed just past the post by Benssauda. Just before the break Ringwood hit the post with the keeper beaten in a rare attack.

Half Time: Poole 0 Ringwood 0

A Funnell free kick was back headed by Strong and turned round by the Ringwood keeper after 48 minutes and a couple of minutes later a Richardson shot into the net from outsid e the area was disallowed for a push on a defender in the box. After 56 minutes a corner was cleanly headed on by Jordan and Strong back headed into the goal. Thereafter it was mostly Poole and Skelton had a shot saved and Smith continued to show excellent skill. On 70 minutes a poor backpass allowed Strong to intercept and the goalkeeper challenged him. Althogh Strong went down rather easily the referee awarded a penalty and Funnell converted. Both Funnell and Richardson (twice) created chances and Ringwood missed a great chance to score before the end.

Final Score: Poole 2 Ringwood 0

Man of the Match: Trefor Smith

Player Ratings: Frampton 4, Skelton 6 (Sturgess 6), Jordan 6, Whitley 7, Gilbert 6 (Brown 7), Richardson 7, Funnell 7, T. Smith 7, Hankey 6, Benssauda 5 (Chivers 4), Strong 7.


Brading Town 1 Poole Town 1 (Banssaouda 40)

(no report available)


AFC Totton 3 Poole Town 1

In this crucial opener to the Wessex League season Poole were well beaten by one of their rivals for the title. Totton capitalised on errors to take a 3-0 lead by half time and although Poole put in a better second half performance Totton coasted to the win.

Poole started brightly and in the second minute a Funnell corner was headed just over the bar by Banssaouda. Totton started to press immediately and dominated possession in midfield. From the second of two corners in the 13th minute Poole were unable to clear the ball from the area and the ball fell to a Totton defender who turned and scored low to Frampton's right. Poole came back with a good move after 22 minutes with Richardson playing the ball through to Saadi but his lifted shot failed to clear the keeper. Poole largely matched Totton in open play and Richardson headed down for Funnell to shoot just over the bar. On 33 minutes a defensive mix up led to a Totton forward nicking the ball and running on to score. A Funnell free kick from just outside the area was fired over the bar but with Totton gaining confidence the killer blow came in first half injury time as Poole lost the ball in midfield and the resulting break saw Poole outnumbered in defence and quickly punished with the 3rd goal.

Half Time - Totton 3 Poole 0

Poole made changes in the second half with Strong coming on up front. Poole's efforts were rewarded with more possission and Strong looked lively. However there were no clear cut chances until a free kick from the right was superbly headed in by Banssaouda after 73 minutes. Strong was nudged off the ball in the area after 85 minutes but the penalty appeal was turned down and the game petered out with Poole picking up 3 bookings towards the end.

Final Score: Totton 3 Poole 1

Poole man of the match: Karim Banssaouda

Player Ratings: Frampton 3, Hogan 5, Jordan 3, Whitley 5, Gilbert 4, T. Smith 4, White 3, Saadi 3, Funnell 6, Banssaouda 7, Richardson 4 (subs Strong 6, Hankin 5

25 July 2006 friendly match

Poole Town 2 Portsmouth 1 (goals Banssaouda, Funnell)


22 July 2006 friendly match

Poole Town 3 Dorchester Town 1


Poole played several of their new signings against a strong Dorchester side which included Matt Groves and Jamie Brown up front. Poole played the better football against an overly physical magpies and could easily have won by a bigger margin.

The crowd didn't have long to wait for the first action as Hogan was upended on the right side of the penalty area and Funnell gave Poole the lead from the spot. On 9 minutes the referee evened things up and Jamie Brown equalised from another penalty. Dorchester had a small spell of dominance during which a corner was headed over, but after 20 minutes a Hogan corner dropped in the area for Richardson (playing as a striker alongside Chivers) who turned and scored to make it 2 - 1 to Poole. Hogan had 2 chances in 2 minutes just after the half hour mark chipping a good through ball just over the bar and then heading over from a good cross.

Half Time: Poole 2 Dorchester 1

Poole made changes as Karim Banssaouda came on, but it was Trefor Smith who made the first impression for Poole as he beat 2 players on the edge of the box before shooting narrowly wide. Funnell shot over from distance before a fierce Dorchester shot was beaten away by Poole's new keeper Frampton. On 56 minutes a sublime Poole move brought their third goal; A perfect pass from defence found Banssaouda near the right touchline. He shielded the ball from a harrying defender, ran on and played a perfect ball to Funnell running through the middle. With the defence beaten by the pass Funnell gave the move the finish it deserved by stroking the ball cleanly past the keeper into the corner of the net. Dorchester's play became more physical and Trefor Smith was brutally bodychecked (a yellow card was shown) and there were several other fouls which would have been punished in a more competitive situation. Funnell forced a great save from a free kick and Dorchester summed up their day when Jamie Brown missed a penalty just before the end.

Full Time: Poole 3 Dorchester 1

Man of the Match: Trefor Smith



WIMBORNE TOWN have signed former Farnborough winger JOHN MULHERN, SCOTT JOYCE from BOURNEMOUTH POPPIES and former POOLE player BEN THOMSON.




WESSEX LEAGUE RENAMED - Sydenams Wessex One becomes Sydenams Wessex Premier, Wessex Two becomes Wessex One and Wessex Three becomes Wessex Two.


ALTON TOWN could soon be getting new ground and improved facilities. The Coors brewery who are the current owners of the Alton Bass Sports Ground want to sell it for housing.

The brewery is allegedly willing to donate 5,000,000 to build a new ground but will they find a site? Although a site has been identified, there is strong resident opposition. Sound familiar?


GOSPORT BOROUGH have signed 20 year old left sided player JIMMY CUTHBERT from LOCKS HEATH.


It doesn't look like AFC NEWBURY will be still around next season as they have now given the lease back on their ground and West Berks CC have given it to Cold Ash Boys and Girls Club. Vodafone have also pulled out their 40K a year support and manager Guy Whittingham has resigned.


Top marksman KARIM BANSSAOUDA signs for POOLE TOWN



LEIGH PHILLIPS, POOLE'S top scorer and players player of the year signs for BOURNEMOUTH POPPIES




Graham Kemp returns to BROCKENHURST as manager and tips Poole for a top 5 finish in 2007.


Goalkeeper Alan Walker Harris signs for BROCKENHURST from Eastleigh.


WINCHESTER, THATCHAM AND ANDOVER are promoted to the Southern League Division One South and West. PORTLAND AND BAT resign from Wessex 1. No teams are relegated to Wessex 1.

Archived Match Reports 2006 - 2007